The University of Texas at Austin is an artistic destination where you can practice a rigorous and daring exploration of your talent. We are dedicated to adventurous creative thought, critical contemplation, and the crafting of meaning through performance. We believe that the design professional is a generative, rather than an interpretive, artist.
If you seek to cross the traditional boundaries of design, performance, and technology and have a strong desire to create original performance work, The University of Texas at Austin community of professional faculty, staff and students may be the right match for you. "What Starts Here Changes The World."
- Rigorous foundational skill and technique development in Costume Design, Costume Technology, Lighting Design, Scene Design and Integrated Media.
- Multiple realized design opportunities.
- An opportunity for the artist to grow as a unique and adventurous voice.
- Discovery and study of new and traditional performance technologies.
- Close and consistent contact with professional faculty mentors, guest artists, and teaching staff artisans.
- Opportunities in Theatre, Dance, Opera, Film, Video, Performance Art and Solo Performance.
- Access to a network of alumni working around the world.
Preparation for Admission
The University of Texas Master of Fine Arts in Design and Technology program is rigorous and particularly geared toward students actively pursuing a career in theatre and film. We seek committed, focused students who have a realistic knowledge of the business and are ready to make a serious commitment to their education. Students who have been out of undergraduate school for at least a year are preferred, but our entrance requirements are based upon demonstrated talent and skill rather than professional experience.