By Justine Gelfman
In collaboration with Susanna Wolk
Directed by Jenny Lavery
The American Girl Dolls are all grown up and gathered together for a televised Bachelor-style reunion to decide the fate of the company. But suddenly, the girls start disappearing; something glitches and we’re thrown into a glossy feminist co-working space on the brink of expansion. The progressive women at the helm are still perpetuating age-old oppressive practices, now just in a shade of millennial pink. In Sisters We Trust, or My F*cked Up American Girl Doll Play investigates how corporate feminism is repeating and rebranding mistakes of the past instead of finding new pathways to empowerment.
This is an historically inaccurate play about $80 dolls, intersectionality and self-identifying female co-working spaces.
Contains mature language and themes.
Runtime is two hours and 30 minutes with one intermission.
October 20 at 7:30 p.m. (PREVIEW)
October 21-22, 26-29 at 7:30 p.m.
October 23 at 2:00 p.m.
There will be a talkback with cast and creative team members following the matinee performance on Sunday, October 23.
INSIDE LOOK AND REVIEWS
- Meet the Cast of In Sisters We Trust - Off Book: A Theatre and Dance Blog
- Behind the Scenes of the Sisterhood... - Off Book: A Theatre and Dance Blog
- 'Girlhood empire of my youth': Playwright Justine Gelfman reconsiders the American Girl Doll - KUT 90.5
- Theater review: In Sisters We Trust, or My F*cked Up American Girl Doll Play - Sightlines
- UT Theatre and Dance premieres In Sisters We Trust, or my F*cked Up American Girl Doll Play - The Daily Texan
“This show is an independent creative work presented by the Department of Theatre and Dance at The University of Texas at Austin and not related to, or endorsed by, American Girl, LLC or Mattel, Inc. American Girl and associated trademarks are owned by American Girl, LLC.”
Attend an Event
Helpful links to help you plan your visit:
Purchase tickets and learn more about subscription packages and discounted student tickets.
Get directions and up-to-date information about campus parking and construction impacts.
Learn more about how we're keeping our community safe.
Accessible viewing options are available by request for all our venues.