The Bachelor of Fine Arts in Acting seeks to prepare students with fundamental training and the education necessary for an acting career. This unique four-year program combines courses in stage acting with innovative training in devised work, film and television. Our professional faculty of working artists address past, present and anticipated trends in a professional actor’s career.
Curriculum, guest artist workshops and performance experiences reflect the uniqueness of The University of Texas at Austin by offering classes and practical experiences in department productions, collaborations with professional artists, workshops with visiting artists and the rich scholarly resources of a Tier One institution. The department produces an annual season of six to eight main stage productions, encompassing a wide variety of performance experiences that range from classical to contemporary plays, musical theatre and original scripts.
Attentive to acting for the camera, the B.F.A. in Acting collaborates with the Moody College of Communications’ Department of Radio-Television-Film. Upperclassmen have the option to participate in a Los Angeles residency as they prepare for working in the industry through the UT Semester in Los Angeles program.
The B.F.A. in Acting program admits incoming freshman only.
1. Submit the ApplyTexas Application or Common App Application
Available: August 1, 2023
Deadline: December 1, 2023
- Short answers
- Other required optional materials, if applicable
- Scholarship interest form
For a full list of application requirements, please visit the Office of Admissions website.
2. Submit Theatre and Dance Application Requirements
Available: September 1, 2023
Deadline: December 8, 2023
The portal to submit a Theatre and Dance application will be accessible via the applicant’s MyStatus portal.
APPLICATION DEADLINES FOR FRESHMEN APPLICANTS
|ApplyTexas or Common App application for admittance in Fall 2024 opens.||August 1, 2023|
|Department of Theatre and Dance application opens.||September 1, 2023|
|ApplyTexas or Common App application deadline.||December 1, 2023|
|Deadline for students to submit all additional application items, including Theatre and Dance application.||December 8, 2023|
- All applicants will submit a video prescreen audition. Select applicants may be invited to attend an in-person or virtual callback audition
- Applicants should prepare a slate, a contemporary monologue and a scene. Each video will be approximately one-minute in length.
FileScenes for UT B.F.A. Auditions.pdf (23.37 KB)
- You may need to install Acrobat Reader to access this document.
- Applicants will also be asked to upload a headshot and artistic resume.
- NOTE: headshot does not have to be a professional headshot. It can be a clear image taken on your mobile device.
Break a leg!
|FIRST YEAR||SECOND YEAR||THIRD YEAR||FOURTH YEAR|
Acting I & II
Voice and Movement I & II
Voice Lab I & II
Movement Lab I & II
Theatre History I & II
Creating New Media
Voiceover & Narration
Advanced Production Lab
Acting for the Camera I & II
Business of Acting
Application for Rehearsal
Foundations for Acting
The schedule and availability of Theatre and Dance courses changes each semester. The courses listed above are examples for this focus. Students must also fulfill The University of Texas at Austin’s core curriculum, department core and elective requirements.
Download Sample Degree Plan:
You may need to install Acrobat Reader to access this document.