Early Decision Deadline: December 15, 2017 (early deadline for applicants not attending U/RTA)
Final Decision Deadline: March 1, 2018 (for applicants attending U/RTA)
The University of Texas at Austin is an artistic destination where you can practice a rigorous and daring exploration of your talent. We are dedicated to adventurous creative thought, critical contemplation and the crafting of meaning through performance.
Theatre and artists today must ply their craft in a variety of media -- film, television, themed attractions, events, exhibitions and installations. Our approach to theatrical design is to consider the traditional forms of performance design as foundational to the analysis, exploration and realization of all work where there is a story to be told.
We are storytellers. We are a program of Narrative Design.
We believe that the design professional today serves as a generative, rather than an interpretive, artist. To that end, we emphasize organizational and entrepreneurial skills in order to prepare the student to serve as a producer of future projects and endeavors.
If you seek to cross the traditional boundaries of design, performance and technology and have a strong desire to create original performance work, The University of Texas at Austin community of professional faculty, staff and students may be the right match for you. "What Starts Here Changes The World."
- Rigorous foundational skill and technique development in Costume Design, Costume Technology, Lighting Design, Scene Design and Integrated Media.
- Multiple realized design opportunities.
- An opportunity for the artist to grow as a unique and adventurous voice.
- Discovery and study of new and traditional performance technologies.
- Close and consistent contact with professional faculty mentors, guest artists, and teaching staff artisans.
- Opportunities in Theatre, Dance, Opera, Film, Video, Performance Art and Solo Performance.
- Access to a network of alumni working around the world.
Preparation for Admission
The University of Texas Master of Fine Arts in Design and Technology program is demanding and particularly geared toward students actively pursuing a career in theatre, film, television, themed attractions and related narrative-based opportunities. We seek committed, focused students who have a realistic understanding of these businesses and are ready to make a serious commitment to their education. Students who have been out of undergraduate school for at least a year are preferred, but our entrance requirements are based upon demonstrated talent and skill rather than professional experience.