The following application instructions are for admission to the M.F.A. in Design and Technology, including all areas: Costume Design, Costume Technology, Lighting Design, Scenery Design and Integrated Media.
- Early Decision Deadline: December 16, 2016 (early deadline for applicants not attending U/RTA)
- Final Decision Deadline: March 1, 2017 (for applicants attending U/RTA)
How to Apply
To apply, go to ApplyTexas.org, create an account and fill out the form. Note: Online requests for recommendations will be activated only after you have completed and paid for your application.
You will be able to choose your Area of Interest on a pull down menu. This will ensure that you are applying to the correct program. For example, “M.F.A. in Playwriting,” “M.F.A. in Lighting Design,” etc.
After completing and paying for your application you will be sent an email (within approximately 48 hours). This email will direct you to a site where you can check your Application Status (using your new EID) and begin to upload your application requirements.
The application for graduate admission is a multi-step process. For detailed instructions, please visit The University of Texas at Austin Graduate School online.
In addition to your application, the following materials are required in order to be considered for admission in the M.F.A. in Design and Technology program.
- Official Transcripts: Applicants must submit transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, both at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Online instructions for uploading transcripts (PDF format only).
- GRE Score: The GRE is not required for admission to the M.F.A. in Design and Technology program.
- Three letters of recommendation: These letters should be written by those who can speak most authoritatively about your background, training, professional experience and potential for a career in your chosen area of specialization in theatre. Each reference will receive instructions on how to submit his/her letter online to the Graduate School's secured web site. Only one letter is required from each reference.
- Professional Résumé of your practical theatre work.
- Design or Technical Résumé
- Statement of Purpose: This two-page statement purpose should outline educational and professional goals, philosophy and/or personal theatre aesthetic.
- Design or Technical Portfolio: Portfolios should include examples of drawing, painting, drafting or any other manual skills applicable to your discipline including photos of realized productions or record of realized artwork. All portfolios must be submitted in the form of a website link or DVD (PowerPoint or QuickTime image file) before an interview can be scheduled. Images uploaded as portfolio materials (including the website link) must be in PDF format. For DVD submission information, see below. Applicants should bring an original portfolio to their on-campus interview, should one be scheduled. Résumés, statement of purpose, portfolios and other materials should be submitted online at the Document Upload System. DVD portfolios and/or materials that cannot be upload in PDF format should be mailed directly to the address below. DVD portfolios will not be returned.
Attn: William Bloodgood, Design/Tech
GRAD APPLICATION (Specify your area of focus: Costume Design, Costume Technology, Scene Design, Lighting Design, Integrated Media)
Department of Theatre and Dance
300 E. 23rd Street Stop D3900
Austin, TX 78712