- Season & Tickets
- Undergraduate Programs
- Graduate Programs
- Current Students
- Summer Programs
How to Apply
We are not recruiting students for the M.F.A. in Dance for Fall 2017.
Please read all instructions carefully.
All application materials must be sent electronically. No hard copies or mailing will be accepted except under certain conditions. Documents, supplemental materials and portfolios (as indicated by each degree plan) must be uploaded using PDF format unless otherwise indicated.
1) To apply, go to ApplyTexas.org
Here you will set up an account and fill out the form.
Note: Online requests for recommendations will be activated only after you have completed and paid for your application.
2) You will be able to choose your Area of Interest on a pull down menu, and this will ensure that you are applying to the right program. For example “M.F.A. in Directing,” “M.F.A. in Dance,” “M.F.A. in Lighting Design,” etc.
3) After completing and paying for your application you will be sent an email (roughly within 48 hours). This email will direct you to a site where you can check your Application Status (using your new EID) and begin to upload your other degree requirements: My Status: https://utdirect.utexas.edu/apps/adm/mystatus
Note: Be mindful of application deadlines for the degree you are applying for.
For detailed instructions on uploading transcripts (PDF format only, 15 MB max), visit http://www.utexas.edu/ogs/admissions/howtous.html
If the GRE is required by your degree plan, be sure to enter the appropriate code on your application: Institution Code, UT Austin: 6882. For more on the GRE visit www.ets.org/gre
To get further information on the application process and to learn more about graduate life at UT, visit the Office of Graduate Studies at www.utexas.edu/ogs/admissions/
- Official Transcript(s) (PDF format, see upload instructions above)
- No GRE is required for the M.F.A. in Dance
- Three letters of recommendation
These letters should be written by those who can speak most authoritatively about your background, training, experience and potential for a career in your chosen area of specialization. Letters should be submitted using the Request for Reference form available online at the time of application. Each reference will receive instructions on how to submit his/her letter on-line to GIAC's secured web site. Only one letter is required for each reference.
- A professional résumé
- A two-page typewritten statement of purpose: The statement of purpose should outline educational and professional goals, philosophy, and/or personal aesthetic.
- A video portfolio (dvd, vhs, web link or Quicktime doc on a thumb drive) of your creative work (dance performance, choreography, film, etc.) not to exceed 20 minutes of total material. If you performing in a group work, you must be clearly identified and visible. Please label and identify all components of the submitted work: who is performing, where and when.
How to send Video Portfolios
All materials should be sent directly to Charles O. Anderson, M.F.A. in Dance Program Head
Attn: Charles O. Anderson, Dance
GRAD APPLICATION: M.F.A in DANCE
Department of Theatre and Dance
300 E. 23rd Street Stop D3900
Austin, TX 78712
You can also send web links of your work (if applicable) directly to Charles at email@example.com.
Submitted materials will be reviewed and prospective candidates will be contacted directly for a formal interview.
For problems uploading your application or for further information, contact
Liesbeth Demaer, Graduate Coordinator by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Be sure to include your phone number with all inquiries.